Friday, December 26, 2008

I Love Today

It's 12.30pm.
Dressed in an over-sized shirt which comes down mid-thigh (my husbands, I love to wear his shirts and sweaters) and nothing else I have been moving around in our new home, trying to renovate. I've spent a few hours cutting filling foam out of the cracks we put it into. I've been shifting light furniture. I've been taping paint colour chips to the nursery wall.
The rocking chair stands in the middle of the room, covered with a white drop-cloth. Soon I will scrub the walls down with warm soapy water and, once dry, tape the moulding and ceiling off with painters tape. Unscrew the lightswitch and outlet covers. And call the room ready for it's paint.
My hair is clean and shiny and piled up loosely out of the way. The shade is delicious...darker than I had intended but close to my natural.
Brennen is in our new kitchen cooking us lunch. Steak for him, stir-fry for me.
I spent last night exploring our new oven by making cookies for a group of friends who were gathered around playing games.
Later the kitchen will have to be painted too...colours hand-picked by us, the two artists, picky but in love enough to compromise on taste.
The bathroom is the only room near finished. I didn't pick my colour, he didn't pick his....we compromised and the outcome is beautiful. Everybody loves it.
I am excited for the rest of the house.
But that is then and this post was for now.
For today.
I love today.
I love we three.
First thing this morning, naked and snuggling in bed, Brennen puts his hand on my belly. Thumper promptly starts to kick. Either to say 'hey' or to say 'get off me!'. We don't know which but we giggle together.
Next a bubble bath, shared.
Then I slip into his over-sized shirt, put on great music and begin work on our baby's room.

The days are very beautiful now that we are on our own again.
Not our duo, which we love, but our trio, which is just as amazing.

It's like a great sigh of relief to be ourselves, in our own spaces.
Heck, we even found a new series we like to lay in bed at night and watch.

Today...today is just beautiful.
And so was yesterday, Christmas, spent with friends.

I cannot wait for the New Year, now.
I cannot wait for the days that will come.
I cannot wait to spend the rest of my life with these boys.
In our house, in our home.

It's really pretty terrific.

No comments: